Monday, September 8, 2008

Deutsch

Jana is off for a message, n I am relaxing over a cup if tea with my
travel books. She is leaving to head back to Nuremberg tomorrow
(stupid work!), and I'll be left to fend for myself for a few days.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous, but the time will be
good for me to truly decompress, and rely on my own abilities to
communicate.

I studied german for three years in high school, and I am impressed at
how much is still floating around in this brain of mine, but it is
also quite jumbled. Listening to full conversations, I am pretty lost
in the full combinations of sentences, but can usually figure out the
gist of what is being discussed if I pay attention. it is fun to have
a basic clue, but found it is also pretty exhausting on the brain to
work so hard to process.

I am curious about putting myself to the test in the next few days to
use a little german. I try it now and then (ordering coffee, beer,
etc), and am fine with the most BASIC exchange... But never fail, I am
lost when follow up conversation is presented, and just about everyone
switches to English to speak with me. Much appreciated, but in a sick
sense, a little disappointing that I don't have to try harder.

Jana has been wonderfully patient doing a lot of talking, and
answering my questions about what word mean (when I forget them a
minute later!), or to translate what someone said. I have been writing
a few basics down, and have a little list in my pocket.

-"please repeat slowly": didn't understand you the first time, I'm
sure it'll make more sense slowly?! Ha. :P

We'll see how it goes in the next few days! Yikes. Pretty sure I can
find a toilet, and have enough words to feed myself, so you have
nothing to worry about... But it could be sheer amusement getting the
rental car back to the airport!

1 comment:

Sussman said...

How do you say pork? Chicken? Veal?