Don't know that I have as much detail to offer right now on some of the places and experiences, but here are the pic's.....
We were picked up at the hotel in the am by Andy, our guide for the day... And we climbed into yet another safari vehicle. As we drove out of town to pick up a few more people, I quickly realized that I had made some major assumptions about Bulawayo the precious day. As I mentioned, lori and I were the only white people we saw all day... I was really embracing the idea that we were in the Africa where people live and work... And I wasn't wrong, but there was another very separate side to the city. The very wealthy white suburbs. Very separate. I was beginning to understand that we stood out less as being tourists the previous day, and more as why are theses white people in downtown? Anyhow. That's what you get for making assumptions!
A 40 mi ute ride out of the city, we came to the entrance to the park, and made our first stop at a cave full of cave paintings, and granaries from a variety of time periods. The cave was believed to be used as a storage place for grains as late as the independence revolution in the late 70's, early 80's.
Our guide's forte was not necessarily historical artifacts... But as a lifelong Zimbabwean, he was fascinating in his narrative of common life in the country through the last 30-40 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment